Sunday, March 8, 2009

And They Call It...

11 years ago we made the rash decision to get a puppy for Katelyn. We did not plan for this. We had no supplies and when we brought the puppy home, it was a disaster. Alyssa was 3 years old and completely terrified of the dog. The puppy cried all night long for 2 straight nights. She pooped and peed all over the house. It was a nightmare!! With my lack of knowledge on raising a puppy, I quickly gave up and found a great home for her. Needless to say, this traumatized Katelyn who loves puppies beyond belief!! I made her a promise that we would get a new puppy when she was 8 years old. Well, when Kate turned 8 we got a little sister instead and I have never lived down the fact that I broke a promise. Well, yesterday I finally made good on my promise and we got Kate her long awaited puppy!

THE NEWEST THELER...EDWARD!

When we were deciding what would be a special "Sweet 16" birthday present for Kate, I knew just the thing...a new puppy!! After a month of research and a long search for the "right" puppy (you know, one that I would like too since I will be doing half of the training), we found one that I knew Kate (and the rest of us) would LOVE! We told the girls that we had a surprise for them. We did not tell them what it was and the suspense just about killed them! We drove an hour and a half to the city where the puppy was born. Before we left, I printed out pictures of the 3 male puppies that were available and instructions on "how to pick a puppy". I rolled the pages up and put a pink bow around it. When we got to the restaurant to meet my mom and dad for lunch, we gave her the package. When she opened it, she had the BEST reaction in the world. She looked shocked and then tears started streaming down her face!! We all had tears too because we know how long she has wanted a puppy!!

After lunch, we drove a few minutes to the trainer's home. There they were...the cutest little Morkies (a Maltese and Yorkie mix) in the world. We played with them for about a half an hour before Kate narrowed it down to the one she liked best. "Edward" (as in Cullen, the sparkly vampire) is literally the cutest puppy ever! He did not cry for one minute last night and goes into his crate without any problems! We are working on housebreaking and Kate is taking a major roll in this task. We are really proud of how responsible she is with Edward! It is definitely "Puppy Love"!!

I guess she can't claim that she is "Sweet 16 and Never Been Kissed"!

Grandma Margaret instilled a love of dogs in Kate. It was so great to have my mom and dad there for this fun day! Especially since Jackson died last fall! My mom fell in love with the puppies too!

The girls couldn't be happier! Abby just keeps asking "is this a dream?"

Alyssa is definitely over her fear! She loves Edward as much as anyone!!

Katie working on the house breaking...good times, good times! She doesn't mind it...she is just so thriled to have her own puppy.

When Kate decided on the name Edward, John started calling him Eddy. Naturally, that led to the name Eddy Haskell (the trouble maker from Leave it to Beaver) and now John just calls him "Haskell". Leave it to John to create a nick name!!
Miracles never cease...!!

Katelyn said getting a puppy is better than getting a car...that says it all!!

HAPPY (early) SWEET 16, KATE!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

6 comments:

  1. He is so adorable! Happy B Day to Katelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea that is Awesome! You guys are going to love your new addition and he is so cute! Happy Birthday Katelyn! By the way sammie I like your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! And now my kids are all on me again to get a pet :) We'll just oooh and aaah over your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love him!!! The boys and I want to puppy-nap him:)

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute...both the puppy and the girls!

    Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We know Katie is truly excited about her Sweet 16 present. Congratulations on your adoption. Hopefully we will be there soon to see him and everyone else in the family.

    ReplyDelete